Traveling from Los Angeles up into the San Bernardino National Forest offers a striking transition. As you turn away from the city and begin to ascend into the San Bernardino mountains, you feel an immediate and refreshing sense of being immersed in nature.
The Lake Arrowhead region has a long history of being a weekend getaway. Since the early 1900’s Southern California residents have been escaping the city to enjoy the area’s rustic mountain charm. Better Place Forests Lake Arrowhead is nestled within these mountains and along the scenic Rim of the World Highway.
This forest is the first of its kind in Southern California. It offers an alternative to traditional end-of-life options by allowing people to choose a tree as a place to spread ashes, often for multiple family members and even pets.
Whether you come to visit your tree or to explore and vacation in the area, we’ve put together a few recommendations on where to eat, what to do, and where to stay.
Where to eat in Lake Arrowhead
There are a number of locally-owned restaurants — some with breathtaking views and others with a rich history that spans decades.
- Lou Eddie’s Pizza and Brewery: Proudly serving the best pizza on the mountain, Lou Eddie’s offers fresh gourmet salads and fire-roasted artisan pizzas.
- Lake Arrowhead Brewing Company: Enjoy a meal with lakefront views, local charm, and upscale American classics.
- Hortencias at the Cliffhanger: Stop by Hortencias for their sweeping views of the San Bernardino mountains and delicious lobster tacos.
- Belgian Waffle Works: A dockside restaurant on Lake Arrowhead serving famous Belgian waffles and other breakfast classics.
- Stone Creek Bistro: Check out this family-owned and operated restaurant for Southern comfort food and French bistro cuisine.
- Puglia Italian Restaurant: Family friendly Italian restaurant with amazing food and an ambiance to match.
- Crestline Cafe: a cozy restaurant for quick and casual dining on the mountain.
Things to do in Lake Arrowhead
Enjoying the outdoors is the primary pastime in the Lake Arrowhead area. Whether you take a scenic drive, a meandering hike, or venture out on the lake, you’ll find something to enjoy in the peaceful San Bernardino mountains.
- The Rim of the World Highway: Take a drive along this historic 110-mile highway for endless scenic vistas and photo opportunities.
- Heart Rock Trail: This 1.3-mile hike is well worth the waterfall and heart-shaped rock formation.
- Arrowhead Queen Boat Tour: Get out on the water and learn about the history of Lake Arrowhead and old Hollywood.
- Ski Big Bear: Bring your ski gear for a day on the slopes at Big Bear Mountain. The mountain offers 650’ of vertical and 7 ski lifts.
- SkyPark at Santa’s Village: The outdoor park offers a mountain biking course, a skating rink, rock climbing, and the opportunity to see Santa Claus year-round.
- Dogwood Campground Loop: A 3.8 mile loop that takes ~90 minutes to complete. Beautiful and open year round.
- Lake Arrowhead Dog Park: A great destination to bring your dog(s)! Features two separate fenced-in sections for large and small dogs.
- Lake Gregory Trail: A 2.3 mile loop that takes ~45 minutes to complete. Open year round.
Where to stay in Lake Arrowhead
Spend a few days in Southern California’s mountain getaway. There are resorts, cabins, and rental options for every type of traveler.
- The Perch: A stunning property with beautifully designed rooms that we absolutely love.
- Lake Arrowhead Resort & Spa: Stay lakefront at this 173-room luxury resort with access to private Lake Arrowhead.
- Rent an A-frame Cabin: The Lake Arrowhead area is home to an array of unique A-frame-style homes. Get the true mountain town experience in one of these rentals.
- Pine Rose Cabins: Tucked in the forest along a creekside, these unique cabins are the perfect place to spend the night in solitude.
Choose a memorial tree in Lake Arrowhead
Making plans for your final resting place isn’t something that many of us want to think about, but by planning ahead you’re able to create a meaningful legacy for the planet and the people you love. At Better Place Forests Lake Arrowhead you can choose to spend eternity in the San Bernardino Mountains with striking views of the Pacific Ocean.
Selecting a memorial tree in a private and protected forest allows you to continue the cycle of life as your ashes are mixed with local soil and returned to the base of your tree. For more information about our services or the Lake Arrowhead forest, schedule a free online forest tour.