There are countless things to do in Flagstaff, Arizona. Located just an hour away from the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, and Sedona, this iconic mountain town is situated inside one of the most extensive pine forests in the world. On a trip to Flagstaff, you can see downtown Flagstaff shops, art galleries, and national monuments — all within driving distance of our forest.
We’ve put together this helpful guide to help you find downtown Flagstaff hotels, restaurants, and attractions for you to enjoy during your stay.
Lodging in Flagstaff
Whether you want to stay at an elegant historic hotel or go with a more budget-friendly option, you can’t go wrong with these accommodations.
- La Posada: Located an hour away from Flagstaff in the City of Winslow, this historic hotel is also a restaurant and art gallery. It’s filled with history and beautiful architecture built from another time.
- Little America Hotel: This hotel has a rustic appeal and offers a cozy getaway in the heart of the pine forest. It features a restaurant and bar, as well as an outdoor pool.
- Motel DuBeau Travelers Inn: A tremendous low-cost location with clean rooms and excellent staff. It is located near the Lowell Observatory and Museum of Northern Arizona.
- Weatherford Hotel: This 3-star historic hotel features cozy rooms with luxurious accents like clawfoot tubs for a memorable stay. It is also home to a pub that hosts live music.
- High Country Motor Lodge: Beautiful and contemporary designed place to stay that includes a sauna, plunge pool and a fun General Store.
Dining in Flagstaff
Flagstaff is home to several exceptional restaurants and cafes that are locally owned and operated. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Tourist Home: Located in Downtown Flagstaff, this all-day café features a packed menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They are known for having the best burrito in town as well as amazing French Cruller donuts.
- Flagstaff Brewery: Located Downtown, this location is the ideal place for great food and live music. It features a friendly and casual atmosphere and a relaxing outdoor patio.
- Mama Burger: This locally owned burger place is well known for its shakes and tater tots. It’s a cozy diner with a great atmosphere and delicious food.
- Bigfoot BBQ: Located in the Downtown Flagstaff area, this barbecue joint has a fun atmosphere, and you can even throw your peanut shells on the floor.
- Crystal Creek Sandwich Company: This sub restaurant makes their bread fresh each day and does large group catering as well. They have amazing veggie sandwiches and salads.
- Fratelli’s Pizza: The best locally-owned pizza parlor in town. The menu features vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options to cater to all guests.
- Flagstaff Station: serving great locally roasted coffee and fresh homemade panini sandwiches, soups and baked goods from our location inside a vintage Texaco gas station.
Things To Do in Flagstaff
Flagstaff has something for every member of your family to enjoy and experience. Whether you like relaxing at the local park, taking in the art scene, or visiting historical sites and museums, these suggestions are sure to keep you entertained.
- Rogers Lake Natural Area: A beautiful place for nature lovers, includes hiking and mountain biking areas far enough away from the trails.
- First Friday Art Walks: If you are visiting Flagstaff on the first Friday of the month, be sure to check out this event in the Downtown area. Art galleries and local businesses open their doors between 6 and 9 pm and feature live music, art exhibitions, delicious treats, and more.
- The Arboretum at Flagstaff: The arboretum is an excellent tour stop for the entire family. It features a vast assortment of local plants and enchanting butterfly enclosures, trees, and playgrounds for the kids.
- Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monument: Located an hour away from Flagstaff, this national monument features large native dwellings, interpretive exhibits, and hiking trails.
- Fort Tuthill County Park: This pleasant park features mountain bike trails, areas for disc golf, hiking, and camping.
- Snowbowl Skyride: This ski lift attraction gives you an aerial view of Flagstaff and is open throughout the year, allowing you to experience a unique view of the area even during the warm summer months. This location has accommodations available, and it’s located just minutes away from downtown Flagstaff.
- Museum of Northern Arizona: For those who love to learn about history and culture, the Museum of Northern Arizona features Native American art and hosts various events during the summer.
Choose a memorial tree in Flagstaff
Making plans for your final resting place isn’t something that many of us want to think about, but by planning ahead you’re able to create a meaningful legacy for the planet and the people you love. At Better Place Forests Flagstaff you can choose to spend eternity in an aspen grove with stunning views of Arizona’s tallest peaks. Here you’ll find year-round kaleidoscope sunsets and an expansive meadow that blooms with wildlife and wildflowers.
Selecting a memorial tree in a private and protected forest allows you to continue the cycle of life as your ashes are mixed with local soil and returned to the base of your tree. For more information about our services or the Flagstaff forest, schedule a free online forest tour.