Soon we’ll be hosting you for a Forest Memorial. Below we’ve included all of the necessary information for you to prepare for the event.
Arrival at the forest
Buzzard Lagoon Rd, Los Gatos, CA 95033
NOTE: As of 1/23/23, the forest is ONLY accessible from Eureka Canyon Road through Corralitos, to the south/east of Santa Cruz. Access from Highway 17 is currently CLOSED.
We know you may be traveling from a distance and that it can be difficult to estimate your arrival time. Please let us know if you have any questions about distance and timing.
Summer beach traffic coming from San Jose can add an hour to the travel time on weekends. Please plan accordingly.
Important things to know
- The entire forest is a non-smoking property for health and safety reasons.
- Weather can change suddenly in the forest — we recommend layering with a warm jacket and long pants.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes as the forest trails can be wet and steep in some places.
- Generally, the walk to the tree is 5-10 minutes. There is a mobility quad available if you need assistance getting to the tree.
- The memorial generally lasts 30-45 minutes; some benches will be provided for those that wish to sit during the memorial.
What to expect
After your group has gathered we will begin by combining your loved one’s ashes with native soil from the forest. You are welcome to observe and participate in this process as much or as little as you would like.
We will then proceed to the tree together. Walking sticks and a mobility quad are available to make this experience comfortable for you and your family. If you would prefer a ride to the tree we’d be happy to accommodate, just let us know in advance.
At the tree, we will stand as a group for 15-30 minutes. During the Forest Memorial, the family will have the opportunity to participate in the spreading of ashes beneath the tree. You will be offered to sow native wildflower seeds and have private time at the tree without the Better Place Forests team at the conclusion of the ceremony.
After the ceremony, you are welcome to explore the forest.
In order to make your visit as comfortable as possible, please let us know ahead of time if you need the mobility quad to get to the tree or chairs during the Forest Memorial.
If you have any questions or requests please call us at 877-830-8311.
We look forward to seeing you in the forest!