When someone close to you passes away, you might be tasked with organizing final arrangements to honor their life, such as planning a memorial service or funeral. One aspect of planning a memorial service might include creating and sending out invitations. If you’ve never done this before, it can be hard to know what to say and which details to include on the invitations.
In our guide below, we offer some guidance on writing memorials service invitations and also offer 10 invitations to memorial service examples and templates to help you create the perfect message for your announcements.
Memorial service invitation FAQs
Do you send invitations to a memorial service?
It’s considered a thoughtful and polite gesture to send out memorial service invitations. Even if the service is a public event open to all and the details are included in the obituary or social media, we recommend sending invitations to those who were close to the deceased as a sign of respect.
What do you write on a memorial invitation message?
When it comes to deciding what to write on a memorial invitation, there are several different ways you can announce it. One option is to keep it short and sweet, simply supplying logistical information about the service. Or if you’d like to elaborate, you can provide more details about the deceased. Some people even like to include a special quote or memorial message.
Whatever you decide to write on the announcement, just be sure to clearly note details of the service, including the time, date, and location.
Read more: 12 celebration of life ideas
10 memorial service invitation templates and examples
If you’re in need of some ideas and inspiration, here are 10 memorial service examples:
- We cordially invite you to commemorate the life of our beloved son and brother, Jake Derm. We’re hosting a private home memorial service to celebrate his memory. Please join us at our family home, 235 Peach Court, at 3:30 p.m. on June 15.
- With heavy hearts, we’re sad to announce the passing of Joan Crawn. She was a loving mother, sister, and grandmother, and she’ll be missed dearly. We invite you to attend her memorial service at Life Church at 6:30 p.m. on May 16. In lieu of flowers, we ask you to make a donation in her name to the American Heart Association.
- Friends, family, and loved ones, please join us as we say goodbye to our dearest Frank George Lynn. We’ll pay tribute to his life and many accomplishments at the Veterans Center at 11:30 a.m. on March 3. If you’d like to make a donation in his honor, we suggest contributing to Wounded Warriors, an organization near and dear to Frank.
- “Gone, but never forgotten.” You’re invited to join our memorial service in loving memory of Jessie L. Grant. She was a thoughtful mother, brilliant doctor, and friend to all. We’re gathering at Hillside Park at 4:30 p.m. on April 12. May she rest in peace.
- We’re deeply saddened to announce the death of Lori Van Loo. She peacefully passed away on December 1, surrounded by her loved ones. We’re gathering to say our goodbyes at the House of Peace at 7:00 p.m. on December 5. All are welcome.
- Please join us in remembering the wonderful life of Patrick S. Ryan. We’ll be gathering to share our special memories of our dear Patrick at Ocean Beach Park at 2:00 p.m. on August 17. After the memorial service, you’re invited to paddle out to the pier in honor of Patrick and his love of surfing. Bring your surfboard, paddleboard, or kayak and flowers to release into the ocean.
- We’re hosting a public memorial service in honor of Jewel Kristin May on February 11 at 6:00 p.m. at First Baptist Church on Park Avenue. Everyone is welcome to attend as we remember her beautiful life and celebrate all her incredible accomplishments. Please join us in sharing your favorite memories of Jewel.
- Chris J. Smith was the light of our lives. He was a doting husband and father, proud firefighter, and quite possibly the biggest Yankees fan in the state of New York. Because he would prefer us to laugh than to cry as we say our goodbyes, please join us in a joyous celebration of his life at the Marty Bee Rec Center on January 4 at 7:00 p.m. There will be food, beverages, music, and merriment in his honor.
- Friends and family, we’re gathering to mourn the loss of our sweet Marie Ann Chime at the Riverwater Funeral Home on November 14 at 5:30 p.m. We’re hosting a memorial service followed by refreshments at our family home (5547 West Playa St) at 7:00 p.m. Please gather with us as we remember her and the impact she had on us all. “Those who touch our lives stay in our hearts forever.”
- The family of Jennifer C. Kraw invites you to join us as we celebrate the life of our vibrant, creative, and thoughtful daughter and sister. Prior to passing away, Jennifer requested her loved ones gather at her favorite place, Lake Cuyamaca, in her memory. To honor her wishes, we’re hosting a memorial service at the Lake Cuyamaca Picnic Area on October 24 at noon. Please join us as we say our final goodbyes.
Read more: How to host a home memorial
When it comes to writing invitations for your loved one, we hope our list of memorial service example invitations helps you decide on the perfect thing to say. But if you’re still looking for inspiration, don’t hesitate to reach out to those who are helping arrange the memorial service for additional guidance.