Soon we’ll be hosting you for a Memorial Ceremony. Below we’ve included all of the necessary information for you to prepare for the event.
Arrival at the forest
25284 Ten Mile Rd, Point Arena, CA 95468
Most people use Google Maps to get to the forest. Below is the link to the exact forest location.
For more information about how to get to the forest, and places to stay and eat in the area, read our full directions.
We know you may be traveling from a distance and that it can be difficult to estimate your arrival time. Please let us know if you have any questions about distance and timing.
Important things to know
- The entire forest is a non-smoking property for health and safety reasons.
- Please observe the 15mph speed limit on our private gravel road.
- Weather can change suddenly in the forest — we recommend layering with a warm jacket and long pants.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes as the forest trails can be wet and steep in some places.
- Generally, the walk to the tree is 5-10 minutes. There is a mobility quad available if you need assistance getting to the tree.
- The ceremony generally lasts 20-30 minutes; chairs are available by request if you don’t want to stand during the ceremony
What to expect
After your group has gathered we will begin by combining your loved one’s ashes with native soil from the forest. You are welcome to observe and participate in this process as much or as little as you would like. You may also relax in our Visitors Center during this process.
We will then proceed to the tree together. Walking sticks and a mobility quad are available to make this experience comfortable for you and your family. If you would prefer a ride to the tree we’d be happy to accommodate, just let us know in advance.
At the tree, we will stand as a group for 15-30 minutes. During the Memorial Ceremony, the family will have the opportunity to participate in the spreading of ashes beneath the tree. You will be offered to sow native wildflower seeds and have private time at the tree without the Better Place Forests team at the conclusion of the ceremony.
After the ceremony, you are welcome to explore the forest.
In order to make your visit as comfortable as possible, please let us know ahead of time if you need the mobility quad to get to the tree or chairs during the ceremony.
If you have any questions or requests please call the Point Arena forest stewards directly at 1-415-903-4710.
We look forward to seeing you in the forest!