When you or someone you know is grieving the loss of a loved one, there’s not a lot you can do or say to lessen the pain. Processing grief is an important part of the healing journey, as unpleasant as it can be at times, and giving yourself time and space to walk through these complicated emotions can help. Likewise, understanding that you’re not alone in your grief and sadness can help you through it.
During times of distress, words can often provide solace and a reminder that others have experienced these emotions before. Here are 20 powerful quotes about grief, loss, and mourning to bring you some comfort and support.
20 powerful quotes about grief, loss, and mourning
What are some words you can say to comfort someone grieving? These 20 quotes on grief and mourning may help console those struggling with the loss of someone special.
1. “To spare oneself from grief at all cost can be achieved only at the price of total detachment, which excludes the ability to experience happiness.” — Erich Fromm
While grief hurts, it’s a sign that you experienced love and happiness in your relationship. Without such moments of beauty, love, and joy, the loss wouldn’t feel so profound.
2. "Tears are the silent language of grief." — Voltaire
Crying is a natural and healthy part of grieving. This quote encourages you to honor your emotions as you process your loss.
3. “The loss of a friend is like that of a limb; time may heal the anguish of the wound, but the loss cannot be repaired.” — Robert Southey
This mourning quote acknowledges that your grief will change over time. As the months and years go by, your grief may get easier and less painful, but you may always feel a sense of sadness when you think of that special someone.
4. "Grief can't be shared. Everyone carries it alone; his own burden in his own way." — Anne Morrow Lindbergh
This message expresses that everyone grieves differently. Some may cry, while others go inward. Everyone is on their own unique journey to recovery and acceptance, so be kind and patient with one another during this difficult time.
5. “So it’s true; when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” — E.A. Bucchianeri
Although it can be terribly painful at times, grief is a reminder of the love you experienced. If your love wasn’t so strong, your grief wouldn’t be as strong either. And a love like that is certainly worth celebrating.
6. “What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes part of us.” — Helen Keller
Even though you may have lost someone in the physical sense, your love for them will never go away. This grief quote reminds us that a piece of them will always be with you no matter what.
7. “What is lovely never dies, but passes into another loveliness, star-dust or sea-foam, flower, or winged air.” — Thomas Bailey Aldrich
This poetic quote about loss suggests that our loved ones are still with us in different ways. We may not see them, but we can feel their presence in nature as we continue to cherish memories of them.
8. “How can the dead be truly dead when they still live in the souls of those who are left behind?” — Carson McCullers
Your loved one may be physically gone, but your memories of them will remain in your heart forever. And as your grief transforms over time, you’ll become more at peace with those special moments you shared.
9. “If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.” — James O’Barr
Often, it feels like your loved one left you too soon. However, this quote suggests that as you grieve, you can learn to honor and continue to love them as a way of keeping their spirit alive.
10. “When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.“ — Kahlil Gibran
This is another quote about loss that reminds you that you’re grieving because you had the opportunity to love and know someone so special. You may feel a sense of gratitude for the experiences you had together while still mourning your loved one.
11. “What is lovely never dies, but passes into other loveliness.” — Thomas Bailey
A touching quote, this message suggests that your loved one may show up in beautiful ways — like a gentle breeze or a fluttering butterfly.
12. “Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time. It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.” — Leo Buscaglia
We can’t stop those we love from dying, but we can see death as a reminder to share our love and appreciation for those still living.
13. “To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.” — Thomas Campbell
Again, a powerful quote about grief and love like this one discusses the idea that one’s memory and spirit carry on with those still living. This concept can give peace of mind and comfort to those mourning.
14. “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” — Mitch Albom
Death can’t erase the memories, experiences, or love you shared. While things will be different, you can always treasure what you had and celebrate your relationship.
15. “The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal, and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again, but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to.” — Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
This quote about grief isn’t meant to alarm you, but rather it explains how your grief can change you and even make you stronger over time as you learn to cope with your loss.
16. “I will not say: Do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
This J.R.R. Tolkien quote reminds us that it’s ok to cry. Don’t judge yourself for crying or experiencing different emotions during this difficult time. When you give yourself the space to feel, you’re giving yourself the space to heal.
17. “The pain passes, but the beauty remains.” — Henri Mattise
Often, the early stages of your grief are the most painful. However, over time, you can work toward transforming that pain into love.
18. “Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow.” — Robert Louis Stevenson
This mourning quote emphasizes how important it is to reflect on the good times. Doing so can help provide comfort during your darkest hours.
19. "Our grief is as individual as our lives." — Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
This message reminds us not to compare our grief to anyone else’s. Be true and honest with yourself, and allow yourself to process your loss however best suits you.
20. “He that lacks time to mourn lacks time to mend.” — Sir Henry Taylor
Going through the stages of grief is an important part of healing. Dedicate time and space to processing the pain of your loss.
Grief is complicated. And as many of these quotes suggest, your healing journey can be time-consuming, difficult, and confusing at times. However, if you recognize that you’ll discover love, light, and happiness in your life again, you’ll eventually overcome the pain.